Saturday, October 6, 2012

McMenamin's Cornelius Pass Road House and Imbrie Hall

All photos from here
My hometown is Hillsboro, Oregon and there is no way I make my first review about any other place than McMenamin's Cornelius Pass Road House and Imbrie Hall.  I went to the restaurant a child with my family and it was one of the first bars I ever went with my friends when I turned 21.

Oregonians know and love McMenamin's Restaurants. There are several locations around Oregon and Washington. They purchase historic buildings and turn them into amazing brewpubs and restaurants. They are decorated a little eclectic, but very warm and inviting. Every location feels like you are sitting at your friend's house for dinner.  I am partial to the Road House because it is right down the street from my parents' house. They all have similar menus that vary seasonally, and feature McMenamin's own beers.


Cornelis Pass Road House and Imbrie Hall are two historic buildings for the town of Hillsboro. Built in 1850, Imbrie Hall was the original home of pioneer Robert Imbrie.  As his family grew he built a second house next door, the road house. In the late 1970s, the Imbrie family opened a restaurant. In 1986 McMenanmin's leased the property and over the next couple decades (and a legal battle over construction rights) restored the house. Lastly, in 2001 Imbrie Hall opened.
The grounds are lit- up at night during the summer.
Today you can dine in either building. The Road House has both in door and out door seating. My dad loves coming for late dinners in the summer. They have picnic tables and lights around the property. He enjoys the warm evenings with his family and a cold beer. Inside, like I said, feels like you are sitting in a friend's country home for dinner in the 1850s. However, Imbrie Hall is my favorite of the two buildings. It is a mix between an 1850s saloon and a barn house. The dark wood and metal fixtures are gorgeous. My mom and I often go for lunch when I am home. The menu is the same in both buildings though.

Ok, now for the beer. I know the selection by heart by now so I have my own opinions. You can check out their own descriptions here.  I am going to discuss my three favorites.

Ruby:
I love this beer so much it was the only thing I wanted to toast with for my graduation from the University of Oregon. It is a light ale with a little pink tint. It is a little sweet and very refreshing on a hot day. It has fresh Oregon raspberries brewed right in. My mom and I both think it tastes a little grapefruit for some reason. This is more of "girly" beer but that does not make it any less amazing.

Hammerhead:
It's a classic golden ale. Hoppy and a little malty. It goes great with anything on the menu, but I suggest using it wash down a burger because they make their own buns with the beer!

Terminator Stout:
It's dark, rich, and chocolatey. If you like dark beers, this is the one for you.

They also have seasonal ales that change often so I suggest trying them too. I can't remember what it was called, but I had this wheat one a few years back that I still dream of often.

Man, this post made me homesick--and thirsty!



No comments:

Post a Comment