Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale


A few weeks ago, Michael and I went to Monterey for the day. We are trying to visit all the old missions along the El Camino Real, so we decided to check out the Carmel Mission. We took some side streets through the center of town while we were deciding where to eat, when he suddenly he remembered this little deli and it magically appeared on the corner if front of us.

Compagno's Market and Deli looks like a little hole the wall, but do not be deceived, it has an awesome menu and market selection.  I got the Veggie on foccasia, with no cheese. The sandwhich comes with sprouts, mushrooms, avocado, cucumbers, bell peppers. All very fresh and local. There was a nice selection of beer too, which we could not resist. I selected Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale, mainly for the name. We ate on lunch at the beach.

Ass Kisser Ales is a small, family owned company in San Jose and is partnered with Hermitage Brewing. They make traditional Reinheitsgebot style beers and specialty ones, like the Vanilla Ale.

It has a mild vanilla taste. Nothing overpowering though, not like vanilla cream soda. It is more of a background flavor. The company's website lists a slight cirtrus flavor. I do not recall citrus exactally, but it was very light and crisp like citrus. Maybe I just missed it while I was taking in the view. It did not pair that well with our deli sandwhiches, but that is not the beer's fault. I would suggest drinking with appeteizers or dessert. Although the vanilla is sublte, the malt is not and would pair better with a richer food. If I ever throw a beer tasing dinner party, I would serve this with some cashew cheese, dried fruit, and crackers as an appeitizer as people arrived.

I am very interested in trying Ass Kisser's American Style Hefeweizen. I love wheat beers and want to see how theirs stacks up. Hopefully I can find a distrubutor in San Jose!



By the way, if you ever get the chance, check out the Carmel Mission. It is beautiful and full of history.

They are restoring the bell tower.
 
Restored rooms, I believe this one was the library.

The room were Father Serra died.


Sources:
http://www.asskisserales.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment